Monday, August 10, 2009

My Channeling Apprentice

At work, trying my best to forget my current situation, we had music time. The music teacher read a musical storybook entitled "The Cat Came Back", which included an episode where a cat got sucked up into a tornado only to come back home by cab the next day.

A child sitting in front of me said "There are going to be tornadoes tonight, Peter. I'm serious."

I started to laugh. "Really? I don't think so, bud."

He looked at me with such a stern face. "It's not funny. They're coming."

We went back into the classroom, where we had the children draw to music. Ironically, my coworker chose Cloud Cult's "Feel Good Ghosts (Tea-Partying Through Tornadoes)" for the session. The same child drew with such ferocity and determination, blending pastel crayons together with a cotton ball in a fury, I was moved to tears.

He drew a picture of a man in a tornado without knowing what the song was about.

I feel like, while channeling the album's concept, he also was channeling me, trying my best to make peace within my tornado.

Cloud Cult -- "When Water Comes to Life"

No comments:

Post a Comment