Saturday, January 3, 2009

Visiting the Neon Grave

Having been born in 1984, I tend to say that I didn't "grow up" in the 80's so much as I "passively lived" in that decade. Consciousness of the surrounding pop culture didn't really start to kick in until I was in second grade, when I wanted long hair, wanted to wear flannel, baggy shirts, Nike high tops with a pump in the tongue. This was 1992. One of my main influences was Matthew Lawrence, brother of the infamous orator Joey Lawrence ("WHOA!"), when he portrayed Chris, Robin Williams' son, in "Mrs. Doubtfire". He is the epitome of my elementary school style.

I, unfortunately, couldn't quite acheive the longer straight hair. Bowl cuts were popular at this point. Grungey long snarls were big. My hair is a fro-ish wave, and the compromise between poof and the Head and Shoulders commercial hair I longed for was a mullet. It wasn't the splendor exploited by the rapscallions portrayed on FOX's "COPS", but it was indisbutably of the mullet family. I listened to Michael Jackson's "Dangerous" constantly, Genesis was a close second (I argue that while Genesis was an 80's band with 80's production, they still had a LOUDER sound, as opposed to the more compressed blips of most 80's pop). Fourth grade brought Green Day, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains.

I couldn't stand the 80's leftovers. I had no interest in pop, the cartoons were to me stupid and drawn poorly, and the style confused me. I stuck with 90's alternative, skateboarding, and Family Matters.

In the mid-90's there came the retrospective chronological recycling of style. The 70's came back. Bell bottoms turned flares popped out instead of Lee's "Pipes" and Jnco skater pants. Zeppelin, Creedence, Pink Floyd started to become the sounds pumping out of my friend's stereos, along with jam bands sparked by a Greatful Dead resurgence (not quite the 70's, but they were rampantly echoed throughout that decade). I was into funk and soul, I bought a ton of polyester and flared jeans (still flaunt these as my primary style).

Going to college, the 80's came back. We're still in the 80's resurgence, what with the New New Wave bands like Interpol, Franz Ferdinand, Ra Ra Riot, The Killers. Flares turned into skinny pants, leg warmers, large flowing sweaters, and hair reminiscent of Pat Benatar's. Emo hairstyles took the Flock of Seagulls idea and modernized it. I can't say that I was completely enthralled in this furvor of 80's bastardization, mainly because I didn't really know 80's music in detail.

I said I listened to Michael Jackson ("Thriller" and "Bad" were some of the most played albums of my youth as well) and Genesis, but everything else like Prince, the one hit wonders . . . they fell through the cracks in my upbringing. Listening to a lot of the current indie hits today, you need to go back and listen to random 80's hits.

I've gained a new respect for 80's pop since the 80's mashup craze started, but I'm still slightly bored by most of the new music based off of the 80's that has made it on so many Top 10 lists for best songs of 2003 through 2008. This makes the original 80's styles more potent.

Last night me, Taylor, Marta, and Marta's good friends Lena and Cassie went to an 80's themed birthday party. It was one of the most organized house parties I've ever been to. Complete with hair crimping stations, accessory application checking points (jewels and beads and decorated safety pins to put on converse shoes), trivia games, John Cusack movies, and some bitchin' 80's dance music. I came dressed as "late 70's", meaning circa 1982. Turtleneck sweater and boot cut jeans. I wasn't prepared for the late 80's fever that everyone was dressed to the nines in. People looked awesome. Marta said "Do you feel slightly underdressed?" I did.

I was thinking of the current pop culture recyclage we are in, and that I haven't given it the attention that I think I should have for the last couple of years. My roommates always play Smiths, Human League, Prince (having worked with his former keyboard player, Dr. Fink, in Citizens Banned, I feel like I should maybe do a little bit more research into his catalogue). I usually blame the production of the time to be my main tiff and reason for letting it go in one ear and out the other. But being bombarded with it daily for the past couple of years has either made me more comfortable with it or more accepting. Most likely both.

The party last night was a good place to come to terms with my opinions of the 80's. I'm glad we haven't assimilated every aspect of that decade in our modernization of it. But it's fucking fun to dance to and laugh at.

Here's to the 80's. I respect you, but I'm glad we haven't completely resurrected you from your neon grave.



Human League -- "Don't You Want Me"

No comments:

Post a Comment