Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Invisible Transcendence

INTRODUCTION

Ever since I graduated college two years ago, my life has circulated around two things: 1) Music and 2)Day Job. The nature of my day job is one of "consistency". Working with children, consistency is the number one priority for teaching. It makes the children feel safe, allows them to branch off and grow within the day to day routine. Unfortunately, for me that means every day is basically the same.

I come home from work and sit down to write/record/plan Patch. I'm stuck in my room throughout the afternoon and early evening toiling over editing software and word documents. Needless to say, a lot of the time I look back and wonder "Have I amounted to anything in my life? Is this it?" Every day blends together. This is ultimately the main cause of the depression I sporadically find myself in.

Back in August I did an experiment. I made a bullet point list complete with every single thing I did in the day, save for trite things like "Took Shower", "Washed Dishes". Looking back on the list, I realized that every day usually brought a new experience into my life. And I wasn't as depressed after thinking that things weren't so drab after all.

I'm starting that list back up. My hope is to document every single day of 2009. The effect of this list is that I crave telling people about my experiences, since usually something triggers a thought process which causes me to obsess about certain subjects. Curiosity. This is where my art comes from. My questions. My ramblings.

This blog is another outlet for those thoughts. I will most likely get very personal about myself. It's under my public name, but I'm not planning on divulging all of my secrets. Names will be omitted regarding incriminating circumstances. I'll be posting a lot of multimedia regarding music, videos, articles relating to the previous day and what thoughts were sparked during my travels.

Also, regarding "Welcome to Circadia", my other Kean blog: that is my primary source for creative outlet. I'll be posting a lot of the same things here, but "Circadia" is my "PUBLIC" blog. In the coming years, "Karmath" (The Blog) and any other blog sites I create will become private. If you're reading this now, chances are you're a good friend, someone I'd like to share those daily sparks with.

The name "Karmath" is derived from a Patch EP that I'm currently writing. I figured 2009 was the year that "Karmath" would be the primary focus for Patch, receiving the numerical catalog of PATCH 1.0. I'm currently recording PATCH 0.1 -- the first round of demos. I felt that "Karmath" and its subject matter would probably hold the most relevance regarding 2009. As the year goes on, I'll divulge more information.

I'm making this as a piece of the internet I can go back to in years to come. To say "That's who I was in 2009." I hope the public gets something out of it too.



PART 1 -- Layman's Countdown

Another year.

There were no ball droppings. There was a countdown, but it was based off of a laptop computer's interpretation on Microsoft Clock. I'm pretty sure the Atomic Clock had no say in this year's countdown. It was a layman's countdown.

I can remember dancing the night away at Too Much Love, one of Minneapolis' better danceterian happenin's, for the 2008 countdown. It was going to be a year of promise. Of that overused term "CHANGE". Politics fueled my personal resolutions for the year. If the state of D.C. politics changed, so would I.

Drunker than a sailor turned bench ridden whino I held my drink up high and brought it down with each consecutive number to bring in '08. Finally touching my lips, I savored the ethanol burning my bowels. "EVERYTHING'S CHANGING, MAN!!!"

I turned around and saw countless amounts of people kissing, hoping for the miracle of yearly transcendence. A former fling and my roommate had their first kiss, a kiss marked by workmanship and preparation (they had not a scrap of alcohol so that they could soberly share their mouths and remember it till the day they died). I kissed my bottle, and continued to dance.

'09's Layman's Countdown: in the middle of a conversation with a former theatre classmate from way back when about my love life's current whereabouts (and tongue in cheek interrogation on both our parts), the host of the house party started shouting "15 seconds!!!" The numbers went by quickly and I kissed my roommates (brothers and sisters) and my former classmate complete with some of the most ball raising pheromonic staredowns I've ever had with a woman ("I NEED to hang out with you again." "Oh, you will."). I felt safe. I didn't want to think too much about the transcendence I was supposed to have. There were my best friends . . . and this girl.



One sentence sums up that moment of '09. As we drove back home, Marta (probably my closest friend in the female category) spoke up:

"Peter, I just want to see you get laid."

Damn fucking straight.

Port O'Brien -- "I Woke Up Today"


PART 2 -- The Inevitable Transcendence

Speaking of transcendence and change and overcoming the past, I found an interesting website dealing with the "Ultimate Corporeal Form" for humanity. What is the ultimate body humans can wear? What will provide us sustenance when we become space travellers?

Here's what we could become in the distant future, provided we don't fuck it up beforehand: http://www.jrmooneyham.com/ult.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment