Sunday, February 22, 2009

Bulletpointed Wholesomeness

A splendid weekend. Here's a quick overview:

FRI: 1. Watched "Mr. Show" with Marta's photo subjects. They were also subjected to my "ostrich strangling" singing practice session through the living room wall. Again, I'm sorry for the discomfort.
2. Got drunk by myself, recorded myself reading blog entries (read previous blog entry).
3. Watched "Juno" with Taylor and Marta. Sobered up.

SAT: 1. Lizard People practice. Long, but worth it. Realized I now have muscle memory on the drums. I covered my face with my knit cap keeping my hair in check post-shower, and played the fastest song of the set blind. The Force was with me, apparently.
2. Took a Lizard People promo photo in the living room. Our faces will become masks.
3. Took a much needed nap after watching "Rabbit Proof Fence" -- an interesting movie about some "half-caste" Aborigines who escape from an "orphanage" designed to turn them into full out Westerners in order to wipe out all "brown" traces of their heritage in generations to come. Fear for the Mulatto. It didn't hit too hard on my emotions and empathy, not as much as "Hotel Rwanda" or "Schindler's List", but I dug it.
4. Almost called it a night, but I gathered my strength and went out to Angela's birthday party at the Kitty Cat Klub with Taylor. We were surprised to find out that some "personal friend" bands were playing that night: Faux Jean, Idle Hands, and a band that wasn't "personal", First Communion Afterparty. This last was pretty good. I kinda fell in eros love with the bassist. Talked with her after the show. She wanted me to buy a $3 poster of theirs. Internally I thought this was ridiculous. But I played the game, I said, "I don't have three dollars on me, but I'll give you something else. I'll spread the word around about your band. I'll tell at least ten people about your upcoming shows." I'll write a band plug entry later in the week once I do more research.
5. Going to the back of the Kitty Cat where the party was happening was both a reminiscence into my theatre past and a good time to catch up with old friends, gossip about the horrid Guthrie Theater and the way they treat ensemble actors (apparently a dog in the cast makes $750 dollars a week -- the ensemble cast makes $100 for the ENTIRE SHOW, not a weekly pay, but for a two month run). Met some new people throughout the club, talked about Brazilian martial arts, left.
6. Had some much needed Taco Bell while watching a Lon Chaney Jr. serial called "Underwater Kingdom". Terribly awesome movie. Crashed hard into sleep.

SUN: 1. Sledding Ambush No. 2. Columbia Heights Golf Course and Como Park. Lots of faceplanting, daring eachother to do massive jumps (one was constructed for snowboarding -- I kept coaxing Marta to go over it, but Taylor was the first to brave it. I then yelled at myself to grow a pair, tried it myself, landed on one knee, bruised it horribly, Taylor landed on top of his head on another try). Tired, sore, abused . . . well worth it.
2. Some "Big Lebowski" watching. This movie will never get old.
3. Lizard People dress rehearsal. Also sore and tired after doing this. I think we're ready.

That's all to report. 'Twas a fulfilling, wholesome weekend. Made me think about the upcoming departure of Taylor and Marta in the fall -- I'm really going to miss them.

Rage Against the Machine -- "People of the Sun"

No comments:

Post a Comment