Thursday, March 12, 2009

My Name is Domino

During playtime at work (lately I've been having a lot of anecdotes about work, I'm realizing) I sat down to set out domino rallies with a box full of little plastic man pieces. If there's one thing I'm positively sure you cannot do with children around, it would be setting up dominoes. You can only set up five before some kid from across the room throws a towel at your little row to knock them down, or another kid comes out of nowhere to knock it down with their finger. They can't help it. It's like zombies and brains. It's in their nature.

I love setting up rallies, I love any experience dealing with one thing causing another thing to react to it. I'm obsessed with Rube Goldberg machines. So, when I get an idea at the school to make a ramp out of a chair which causes a plastic man to fly into another row of plastic man dominoes, I work diligently to make it work. Add children into the mix . . . my eyes were seeing red. The little fuckers kept knocking down my courses, banging into the ramps.

I think I'm going to steal the plastic men for a night to make awesome rallies at home . . . without children.



*EDIT* -- After poking around on YouTube I may have just found the most awesome Domino YouTube channel ever!!! I think there's a game show in Europe showcasing teams who create genius pieces of art using falling dominoes: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=mundo70&view=videos.

Genesis -- "Domino"

No comments:

Post a Comment