Friday, July 24, 2009

Within Your Blackouts

One of the conversation topics I found myself in the middle of tonight happened to be on seizures. I've only dealt with my now deceased dog's seizures. It's extremely unsettling, thinking "Well, I know they'll be okay. Right? But, they don't seem to be doing alright. Oh crap, what do I do?"

My good friend Sam described his own seizure experiences, having had a few himself. If I can remember correctly: he was at a party. He was 20 years old. He felt somewhat dehydrated and dizzy, and thought he had said "Guys, I'm just going to lie down for a sec". Apparently, he woke up a bit later to a circle of concerned faces. They were saying "Are you okay?" Sam said, "Yeah, I told you I was just going to lie down for a sec." They replied, "No, you didn't say anything. You just fell over and started shaking."

I found a YouTube video depicting a woman in a full epileptic seizure, with a man, while supporting her, describing the whole thing. I've dabbled in the topic of seizures with my art, but I've never seen them in this light. I'm intrigued.



Sonic Youth -- "Expressway to Your Skull"

No comments:

Post a Comment