Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Surety is Never Forever

Nothing makes me happier than being confident in a work of art. People ask, "When you were making (insert work of art here) did you know it was going to be so well received?" Every artist I've seen has been humble in their answer. "Well, I liked it at the time. You never know what other people might think, though."

Bullshit. But good bullshit. You need to stay humble in your statements.

With my work, if I'm really pleased with what I've just done, I do feel that others are going to like it. Currently, I'm writing the second song of my current storyline. So far, if I was an audience member seeing the song, I would think "Jeeze, they're starting to pull lots of tricks out of their sleeves, what's next -- oh shit, they went that far! Whoa ho holy fuck, awe--YEAH!" This isn't bragging. This is the writing process of Patch. What would the audience think here? What if I repeated the thing from the last song--nah, that's not that important of a riff. Should it get really fast -- no, let's just change up the time signature, keep the audience in surprise mode.

I'm pretty convinced an audience would think positively about this song. And I love feeling this. I could be wrong, but seriously, this is the moment that every artist wants to talk about, but they don't have the stupidity to actually say it outloud like I do.

I could be wrong about the song, of course, but fuck off, I'm drunk, and I'm loving it right now.

Jet -- "K.I.A."

No comments:

Post a Comment