Friday, October 30, 2009

The Core of Me

Unfortunately, I came down with a sickness tonight, prompting me to only buy a costume at Twin Cities Costume and Magic in St. Paul, then to rest up with the roomies, lighting the Jack o' Lanterns they carved (mine was left at yesterday's party), and watching my favorite scary movie. The perfect Halloween movie: "Creepshow". This movie, while cheesy and stupid, could be the main pop culture influence I've had throughout my life. I was six years old, sitting in the living room with my mom Halloween week, wanting to watch scary programs on television. She was looking through the TV listings and said, "Oooh, Peter, would you want to watch 'Creepshow'? It's by a guy named Stephen King." "Who's he?" I remember asking. "The master of horror," she responded.

Bam! Of course I was going to watch that! I was into monsters and debauchery when I was a baby (there's a home video of me sitting on a witch's lap at a pumpkin farm when I was one, laughing at her the entire time.). I loved it. It set me on a course to seek out more Stephen King, more George Romero, more zombies, monsters, etc. I have my mom to thank for my lust of all things "Fucked Up".

Here are two videos showing the death scenes of my two favorite stories in "Creepshow" (it's an anthology of five stories based off of an EC type comic book, like "Tales From the Crypt" or "The Vault of Horror"). Don't watch if you don't want spoilers . . .

5. Favorite story pre-high school: Father's Day


6. Favorite story high school on: The Crate


7. BONUS -- Another Stephen King related favorite movie: The Shining -- Dick's death


8. The Shining -- "Wendyyyyyy . . . give me the bat . . ."


9. The Shining -- "Heeeeeere's Johnny!" (I hafta)


Bauhaus -- "Bela Lugosi's Dead"

No comments:

Post a Comment