Friday, October 9, 2009

Holy Grounds

The first birthday celebration, a blast from the past to celebrate the new: The Rainforest Cafe.

I've had some of the most poignant moments of my life at these establishments. One of my best first dates (one of the top ten moments of high school -- "VOLCANO!!!") which led to the relationship with my main high school sweetheart; one of the best birthdays I've had was held here as well: my 19th. This might have been one of the happiest moments of my life so far. Freshman in college, schmoozing with all of Bailey Hall . . . god, that was a good time.

And now . . . 25. The new quarter. The quarter where I have to shit or get off the pot. 1-24 is Preparation. 25-50 is Action. What other way to bring it in than with a nice trip back to the rainforest?

This restaurant, while corny and outright creepy at times, makes me think of my family. All my life I've been into amusement parks and themes and theatrical environments. My family put up with my obsessions and brought me to these places. Once, trying to come up with a family reunion locale, they thought "Why not Six Flags in honor of Peter?" My grandma, 85 years old, rode a looping rollercoaster with me, and loved it.

I imagine I'll continue obsessing over these places once I have my own kids and grandkids. If the wife says, "Well kids, your father and I wanted to take a trip to Disney World, but times are tough--" I'll chime in: "We'll find a way." Wife: "Peter, we can't afford--" Me: "You'd strip them of a chance to go see the Happiest Place on Earth? How could you?!" Wife: "We've been there five times already." Me: "Yeah, what's your point?" Wife: "We can skip it this year."

I get up, take the kids into my arms, and pronounce: "Kids . . . I think we need to give your mother some time to think. She doesn't seem to be herself. Honestly, wife of mine, look at their innocent faces. LOOK AT THEM!!!" Then my kids and I burst out sobbing and running for the car, where I will drive them to the nearest Chuck E. Cheese for pizza and ball pit time.

And to take in the splendour of the animatronic band:


The Beatles -- "Lovely Rita"

No comments:

Post a Comment