Monday, October 5, 2009

Hair o' the Dog

Nothing beats the harsh reactions of children to an extreme haircut. For instance, my own. I went from a shoulder length Robert Plant style to a short, less threatening Flock of Seagulls style. Here are some of the reactions:

1) "You -- you look like ME, now, Peter!"

2) "You're gross."

3) To another child about me: "He doesn't look that scary to me."

4) "Your hair's doing something."

5) "I like your hair. I'm sorry I called names to you before."

I said, "Like what?"

"Like 'Pumpkin Peter'."

6) Toddlers not recognizing me anymore and crying when I held them.

7) "It looks like you shaved your hair."

I said: "I cut it, actually."

"That's what I thought you did."


Basically, most of the time kids would hear my voice, talk to me while facing away, turn to face me, then stop talking. Their eyes would glare, mouths open. They'd cock their heads, smile, and not say anything, forgetting what they had to say.

To their credit, it is a pretty drastic change, though. Parents didn't recognize me, either.

Thanks Ashleigh!

Beastie Boys -- "Pass the Mic"

No comments:

Post a Comment