Monday, October 26, 2009

Skipping Beatles

A child at my school knows all of the words to "Man in the Box" by Alice in Chains. I forgot to take into account that Rock Band flaunts that as one of the beginner levels. But I grew up on that song. This kid said that he was going to Powerman-5000 tonight, he said that he met Static-X on their tour bus when he was two.

I asked his dad this as he picked him up and verified it all. This kid loves hard rock. Now, personally, I think those two bands are bogus, campy, hollow artless pieces of energetic flair to flaunt when you're drunk, angry, and stupid (which I like to be on occasion, and that's why I have an ounce of tolerance for these bands. That or I'm ignorant to how great they really are, and radio killed what could have been a good first impression), but I'm impressed this kid even knows this kind of music at his age.

His dad said "Yeah, I skipped The Beatles and went right for the gusto." "Good job!" I retorted. I'd like to see what his musical preference is going to be twenty years from now, coming from a guy who actually started on The Beatles from his own father.

I literally sang "Man in the Box" with the kid word for word on the playground today. Supplementing the Clear Channel version for the dual "shit" bombs, of course. A highlight of my time at the preschool.

Death From Above 1979 -- "Romantic Rights"

No comments:

Post a Comment