Saturday, May 30, 2009

Woody to Carl

One of the first ideas I had for this blog when I first started it was to compile my favorite Pixar scenes together in celebration of the opening of "Up". Here is a pretty accurate list of some of my favorite Pixar moments through the years:

10. "Wall-E" -- Basically any scene with the character Mo is awesome. His erratic and incessant cleaning causes him to be a cute little OCD robot with the best vocal sounds ("Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa"):


9. "The Incredibles" -- Having been in forced retirement, the Supers have succumbed to domestic life. One of the greatest aspects of this element is how certain Supers adapt to their new 9 to 5 day jobs, restraining themselves from rescuing others, and how they interact with their families being cooped up from what they were destined to do. In the opposite scenario, when danger is too great, and the Supers are a necessity to save the public from certain peril, needing to come out of retirement and into the limelight, we have beautiful scenes like this:


8. "Finding Nemo" -- When Nemo escapes from the dentist office fish tank instead of potentially being killed by the torturous hands of Darla, the dentist's devil niece:


7. "Geri's Game" -- I think this shows the connection that Pixar has with children and adults. A chess game is hardly entertaining to young kids, even for adults, for that matter. To watch, at least. But I think the true aspect of Pixar, their mission statement, is embedded in this short. Young and old coming together to create something unique and wholesome:


6. "A Bug's Life" -- The scene where we are introduced to the PT Flea Circus Troop. I fucking love this, especially with the line "BURN HIM AGAIN!" at the end. Watch until minute 6:04, the clip goes on longer than I had wanted:


5. "Presto" -- I remember being in a kind of bad mood the first time I saw this. After this was done in the theater, I was completely and utterly happy. Pixar is the master of the "Pick-Me-Up":


4. "Toy Story 2" -- The scene where the toys cross the street disguised as road cones. In a word -- epic:


3. "For the Birds" -- Another awesome short. It also happens to be my mom's favorite Pixar moment:


2. "Lifted" -- Pixar does sci-fi for the first time. Made me jizz a little:


1. "Toy Story" -- The scene where the toys get revenge on the evil Sid will go down as my favorite Pixar moment. As a little kid, this was the coolest scene ever. It was creepy, funny, and you felt victorious and empathetic for all of the characters involved. This is the scene that started my small obsession:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJZ4CZBnraY#t=05m46s

Gogol Bordello -- "Start Wearing Purple"

No comments:

Post a Comment