Monday, November 16, 2009

One on One 2

Patch is currently in the midst of the second drummer audition. Tonight I held a one on one session with Scotty Horey, a Union scale percussionist I met while mixing with Schuyler a few weeks back. The only instrument I'm wary about with Patch is the drums, so I called in two different players to see who'd be the right fit. Both Tim and Scotty have been showing different positives. It's going to be a tough call.

Here's some footage of Scotty's one on one audition. Sadly, I don't have any of Tim's band audition last Saturday.

1) Scotty playing along to my Schematics version of "Trachomanic" on his laptop. He actually transcribed the two songs I asked him to prepare ("Typosgraphy" and "Trachomanic") in sheet music and then made up his own riffs for certain sections.


2) Scotty playing along with me on guitar for "Typosgraphy". This was the portion of the session where I gave him direction and scatted out new ideas for him to embark on within his interpretation of my music (EXTREMELY IMPORTANT aspect to gauge whether or not we'll have a good relationship within the band).


Tomorrow night we have the band audition with Scotty, working on the same material we worked on with Tim's band audition. After this, Patch will take a break for a week and half while I go on vacation to Los Angeles and Las Vegas, during which time we'll be talking as a band to decide who to keep as the permanent guy and who to keep for the experimental shows or future versions of the live band.

We hit the ground running December 1st . . .

Mastodon -- "Crack the Skye"

No comments:

Post a Comment