Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Hook, Line, and Thinker

This week I've been doing a lot of research in the realm of internet distribution and marketing for Patch. With the EP nearing completion, I figured it was time to get the ball rolling on getting the name Patch out into the world.

Artists say "Live your dreams. If you keep at your dream you'll make it a reality. Hone your craft and persevere."

I think that's generalized bullshit. Yeah, all of that's true, but it's about as useful as an astrological reading from your local community newspaper. You need to research. The music biz ain't what it used to be. Obviously, record labels are failing, I don't have to say that ever again. But playing live venues locally isn't going to cut it either. You have to do more than have a Myspace, Twitter, Facebook account.

A lot of the ideas that I'm garnering for Patch stem from the realm of viral marketing. People will notice you more if you're doing something strange, giving people a glimpse into a weird subsection of rock that others normally wouldn't set foot in. You want to change the world with rock? Shut up, you're not going to change the world with rock.

But you can bring people into your world of rock, the way you see it. Turn heads in a new direction. Keep things secret, create an aura around yourself that's true . . . but somewhat exaggerated.

That's what I'm thinking about for the upcoming year . . .

One of the best sites for making music on Web 2.0 is www.topspinmedia.com. A plethora of ideas pop into my head after I visit this website and the various sites it links to, whether it be marketing or song ideas, pictures, videos. Anything. Super inspirational, yet kind of scary at the same time. It's like "Jesus, am I seriously wanting to have this be my career?"

Jenny Lewis -- "Acid Tongue"

No comments:

Post a Comment