Monday, December 14, 2009

Saline Measures

I've dabbled in Neti Pot here and there. This year I've had a chronic stuffy sinus system. I first did Neti in May. Today I started it up again, another means of trying to shake off an illness of some kind that has stayed since mid-October.

For those who don't know what Neti Pot is, it's not Marijuana related. It's not medicinal. It's basically a torture device version of Saline Solution.
It's a little pot you stick up your nose. You fill it with warm water and salt, tip your head as you stick the tip in your nose, and you have salt water basically go up one nostril and out the other. Sounds easy enough.

The first time I did it I thought I was going to die. This is why people hold their noses when they jump into a pool. Water rushes into your sinus cavities, and if you're not currently breathing out of your mouth you will definitely cough and swallow the water. Snot and mucus come gooping out of every facial orifice. Your face will look akin to the Snorkel Face, where the mouth is pushed out in a fish-like manner by the snorkel mask. The prettiest face on the planet will be void of beauty by the Snorkel Face, and the Neti Pot, for that matter.

I started to get the hang of it on my second try. The fourth time Taylor came in on me doing it and stopped. "What the hell are you doing?" With a nose full of water and snot, I managed "Neta Pot. Et clens da nohsd." "Fucking weeeeirrrd. It looks like torture."

At first it is. Currently, I'm basking in a cleaner feeling nose. It hasn't been vacated of overabundant snot, but it's refreshing.

Oh, and you have to make sure that you bend your head down between your knees after you're done, or else you'll retain water in your upper sinuses. Days later you could be in public and bend down to pick up something from the ground and water will spontaneously spill out of your nose. It's kind of embarrassing but funny. I had it happen to me on the playground at Miniapple in the sandbox. I bent to pick up a shovel and water spilled out of my nose. The kids stared in horror as I just laughed and waited for the dripping to stop.

I recommend the Neti Pot. It might do ye some gud.

Tool -- "The Pot"

No comments:

Post a Comment